Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Movie review - Death Racers

So I went to see the movie Death Racers with my friends, I had no idea what it was but from what my friends told me I was expecting something cool but not good with good special effects and shitty story.

The movie starts and theres some little text explaining the context of the movie "In 2012, the economy crashes, everybody is poor and there's no jobs, jails are now controlled by private companies instead of government"

At that point, I'm thinking well this is gonna suck, they just throw the story on there without really bringing them and building it.

The movie is about prisoners that do death racing to win their freedom, they drive really powerful armored cars that are equipped we big weapons and they drive in a circuit that has powerups (offensive weapons, defensive weapons). To me it was really similar to Unreal Tournament, the video game thats renowned for its deathmatch mode where people just kill themselves in an area using powerups to gain an advantage. But Unreal tournament was never renowned for good stories. I was thinking, well Death Racers is gonna suck big time.

In a way the story did suck, but there was some good action and special effects. But when you take a closer look, the story is a lot more interesting than it looks. Why, well they are critisizing the masses being mesmerized by violent content and the entertainment industry to keep them entertained and ignoring more important matters that concern thems directly such as economy and politics thus allowing the elite to have a greater grasp on the world to enforce their will.

No comments: